Sunday, March 23, 2008

Remembering Indo Pak skirmish 1948

Rajouri
Poonch
First Link-Up Poonch- Rajouri
Shortly after the capture of Chhawa Ridge in 1948, Brig Yadonath Singh (later Maj Gen) Comdr 19 (Indep) Inf Bde moved his Bde Tac HQ from Naushera to Rajouri. There he called a meeting of Lt Col (later Lt Gen) Jagjit Singh Arora CO 1/2 Punjab Regt, Lt Col (later Brig) KS Dhillon CO 4 Kumaon, Maj (later Brig) RP Mittal Offg CO 16 Fd Regt Arty, Maj (later Lt Col) RNR Sawhney, OC 19 (Indep) Inf Bde Sig Coy and myself. I was ordered to take part in the briefing because the sig comns I provided for the Bde in addition to my 16 Fd Regt Arty Regt during Chhawa Operation when Maj Sawhney OC Bde Sig Coy was away on leave, worked extremely well. I was personally selected by the Bde Comdr as Column Sig Offr.

Task
The Bde Comdr said “as per latest intelligence reports, adversaries have set up a large Training Centre at Mendhar between Rajouri and Poonch which I have decided to destroy. To achieve this task, since no rail/ road exists, a Column of 1/2 Punjab Regt and 4 Kumaon Regt with a Signal element, shall move on foot. The Column shall be commanded by Col Dhillon of 4 Kumaon. Adjutant 4 Kumaon shall act as Column Staff Offr and Lt Jauhal shall be the Column Sig Offr. Only guns, sig eqpt and barest min stores shall be carried on mules“. He also added “another Column of 1 Kumaon Regt under local Brig Pritam Singh shall move on foot from Poonch. Both Columns shall rendezvous 5 kilometers South of Mendhar and shall form into a Bde under Brig Pritam Singh. The Bde shall attack and destroy Mendhar Training Centre. On completion of the task, the Bde shall move on foot to Poonch. The Rajouri Column shall have a week’s rest and return on foot to Rajouri”.

Signal Plan
Maj Sawhney and I worked out a sig plan for the Operation. It was decided to establish a wireless net with Control Station at Bde Tac HQ and two outstations with Poonch and Rajouri Columns. The Control Station will be supervised by Maj Sawhney and the outstations shall be the responsibility of Lt Jauhal. The outstations shall carry two 16 feet telegraph poles each for erection of wyndom aerials. During the move of Columns, the Control Station shall remain on listening watch to enable the outstations to clear their ‘Sitreps’ as and when required.

Execution
The Rajouri Column assembled as ordered at the given place, date and time. Its sig comns were working perfectly. The Column was then ordered to move. As soon as its forward elements crossed our own outposts, they came under hostile sniper and machinegun fire. The Punjab Regt, leading the Column cleared the resistance by putting an appropriate attack and the move recommenced. Such skirmishes occurred time and time again during the move. They were immediately dealt with by our Advancing Troops. Whenever, the Column halted for some time for any reason, I ordered my wireless operators to erect the wyndom aerial as per directions given by me using a compass, which I carried all the time. The set was opened and comn established with the Control Station. At my request the Column Staff Offr originated a ‘sitrep’ which was immediately cleared to the Control Station. Incidentally, being an Operator Telegraph Class one during my rank service, I had achieved the Morse Code Sending and Receiving speed of 40 words per minutes. On many occasions I was detailed to send Test messages for Operator Telegraph Class one Reading tests. To help the Column tired signal operators, I transmitted the sitreps myself on the set. As a result of continued resistance by the Opposing Forces, speed of the Column was reduces. Besides, being Summer month it was extremely hot. The most wanted commodity by every person of the Column was cold water to quench his thirst. There being no other water source available, clean water flowing down the mountain streams was used for drinking. Spare water was carried in chhagals by every individual. Despite the resistance created by the Opposing Forces, both Rajouri and Poonch Columns kept advancing steadily. They finally met at the rendezvous and formed into a Bde under Brig Pritam Singh.

Neutralising Mendhar Training Centre
The newly coordinated Bde launched its well planned attack on Mendhar Training Centre and destroyed it completely. Brig Pritam Singh was extremely pleased with two successes. The Bde then moved to Poonch on foot where the Rajouri Column had a week’s rest in Moti Palace and adjoining buildings. On completion of the rest, the Column started its move to Rajouri following the route it had taken for its onward journey. Successfully clearing repeated resistances en route, it finally reached Rajouri on a sunny hot day.

Reliable Communications
I was on my way to see Maj Sawhney to discuss sig comns working for the Operations. On seeing me going past, Brig Yadonath Singh called me. I saluted him smartly and stood waiting to hear him say something. He simply started looking at my face curiously. Scared, I wondered what was next to come? The Brig quickly grabbed me in his arms. I was taken aback and tried to get away from him. He tightened his grip further and squeezed me. Finally he said “I know what you have done for the Column. I was receiving up to the minute information about the Column’s activities on your wireless set. I know it was only made possible by you. I never had such good sig comns in my entire service. Thank you very very much. You look completely tired and you need sleep. Pointing his right hand, he said that is my bed. Go and sleep on it.” I expressed my sincere thanks and gratitude to him for his very kind and warm words. I further said that I shall not sleep on his bed and sleep on the ground which was good enough for me.

Compliments
The next morning, the Bde Comdr called a meeting of Comdrs and expressed his great pleasure for destruction of the Mendhar Training Centre. He further said that he was receiving up to the minute information on the wireless from the Column. For that he specially commended me and my signal team for the excellent communications. I thanked him for his compliments and conveyed the appreciation to all the Signal operators.
Poonch

Lt Col Pritam Singh Jauhal (Retd)

No comments:

Disclaimer

The contents posted on these Blogs are personal reflections of the Bloggers and do not reflect the views of the "Report My Signal- Blog" Team.
Neither the "Report my Signal -Blogs" nor the individual authors of any material on these Blogs accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused (including through negligence), which anyone may directly or indirectly suffer arising out of use of or reliance on information contained in or accessed through these Blogs.
This is not an official Blog site. This forum is run by team of ex- Corps of Signals, Indian Army, Veterans for social networking of Indian Defence Veterans. It is not affiliated to or officially recognized by the MoD or the AHQ, Director General of Signals or Government/ State.
The Report My Signal Forum will endeavor to edit/ delete any material which is considered offensive, undesirable and or impinging on national security. The Blog Team is very conscious of potentially questionable content. However, where a content is posted and between posting and removal from the blog in such cases, the act does not reflect either the condoning or endorsing of said material by the Team.
Blog Moderator: Lt Col James Kanagaraj (Retd)

Resources