Sunday, April 27, 2008

Dear Colleagues,
In the afternoon of Apr 25, I had separate meetings with the Hon'ble Raksha Mantri and Principal Secretary to the Hon'be PM. The latter meeting was on the directions of the PM with whom I had spoken telephonically on 23 April. Both meetings were unhurried and were held in a relaxed atmosphere. I reiterated all the points of concern to the ESMs. I mainly highlighted the following three:

  • One-rank-one-pension
  • Resettlement of ESM
  • Representation by a retired officer on all committees/ commissions deliberating the issue of pay/pension.

    I pointed out that our action to hold the rallies was taken after knocking on all doors and when all other options had been exhausted. In this connection I recounted my earlier meetings with the RM, UPA Chairperson and the PM from September 2007 onwards. Both again assured me that all doors are still open and that the government is examining our problems in all earnestness. I expressed the sentiments of the ESM by pointing out that the empowered Committee of three Secretaries, again without a defence member, does not inspire much confidence.

    On the question of having an ESM member as part of deliberations, I was informed that our member could instead be given a chance to put forward our views to the Committee and that the Committee would consider these seriously. Since this would have been no different from the Defence representatives earlier making similar presentations before the Pay Commission with no positive outcome, I expressed myself against the option.

    It was mentioned that public expression of such resentment is not expected from soldiers. While asserting that we would maintain a disciplined and dignified approach in whatever we do, I pointed out that this actually amounted to acceptance that soldiers are different from others. That being so, one wonders why they are not being treated differently while fixing salaries despite demands for a separate pay commission?

    The scheduled ESM rally on 27 April came under discussion. I pointed out that the report of the Pay Commissions has aroused strong passions and the movement has gained tremendous momentum and more than 60 stations are holding the event. I then told them that the most emotive issue is one-rank-one-pension.

    In the last few days while the government has given positive signals regarding various other issues such as pay of PBOR, problem of middle band officers, MSP etc, the one-rank-one-pension has not even been uttered by anyone. While discussing how to cool down tempers, I informed the Principal Secretary that if before 27 April 2008, the government makes a statement in the Parliament indicating that the issue one-rank-one-pension will be viewed favourably it would help assuage the feelings of the ESM. In such a case while not calling off the rallies, we would not make speeches on 27 April and would hold the event mainly as a memorial service to the martyrs. He assured me that he would convey my proposal to the PM.

    We need to wait and watch. I am hopeful.

    Lt Gen (Emeritus) Raj Kadyan
  • No comments:

    Disclaimer

    The contents posted on these Blogs are personal reflections of the Bloggers and do not reflect the views of the "Report My Signal- Blog" Team.
    Neither the "Report my Signal -Blogs" nor the individual authors of any material on these Blogs accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused (including through negligence), which anyone may directly or indirectly suffer arising out of use of or reliance on information contained in or accessed through these Blogs.
    This is not an official Blog site. This forum is run by team of ex- Corps of Signals, Indian Army, Veterans for social networking of Indian Defence Veterans. It is not affiliated to or officially recognized by the MoD or the AHQ, Director General of Signals or Government/ State.
    The Report My Signal Forum will endeavor to edit/ delete any material which is considered offensive, undesirable and or impinging on national security. The Blog Team is very conscious of potentially questionable content. However, where a content is posted and between posting and removal from the blog in such cases, the act does not reflect either the condoning or endorsing of said material by the Team.
    Blog Moderator: Lt Col James Kanagaraj (Retd)

    Resources