Sunday, June 22, 2008

India China conflict 1962: 4 Grenadiers Operational Role

Narrated by Gen Kahlon: Continued from earlier post

The Escape
There was another bridge short of the bridge at Bleeting, this was guarded by the Chinese on both sides. We decided to cross Twang Chu and in to Bhutan at night. I have never seen 150 or so men, coughing and in bad shape move so silently. We crossed at about 75 yards distance from the Chinese Camp quietly in the night, we could see the lights burning in their tents. Like ghosts we slithered past, moving fast as we had a track to move on and a guide. There I see a 9 Punjab jawan with his boots removed and gangrene set in his feet, when I told him that your CO is ahead, not too far. Look at this Punjabi boy he says 'Saihab CO Saihab hain fir to mare liya bhi koi bandobast ho jai ga (CO is there then some thing will be arranged for me also)' . I don’t know how long the boy survived because as he removed his boots his soles also came with them and yet he had so much faith in his CO. That is what has made this army tick all these years.

Bhutan
Ahead of Bleeting, which was totally deserted, we came to a village called Khini where the villagers looked after us well and we spent a night there, however being in bad shape we could hardly eat what was offered by the villagers. Ultimately after walking in Bhutan for ….days, we reached Tasigang Dzong . Here we were told to hand over our weapons to Bhutan Government, I tried to hide my pistol but Oscar Thomas insisted that I had to surrender it .

The Home Coming
Rakesh Jha of Engineers, my course mate saw some of my men walking through the town and enquired about the identity of the battalion. On learning it was 4 Grenadiers, he came running from the other side in search of me. He banged into me as we were walking up. I held him in my arms, first time I realised that I was safe and alive having come through this terrible ordeal. With the shock of realisation hitting me hard, I broke down and cried like a child. Rakesh held me tight in his arms, saying you are safe, you are with me now, remember me, I am Rakesh your batch-mate from NDA. He did not let me go with battalion, you stay here with me for a day or so. The rest of the people were put in vehicles and taken away. I stayed with Rakesh for one more day. He kept on feeding me and I kept on vomiting as my stomach had shrunk due to the long bout of starvation. It may sound strange but once again I took a helicopter flight, but this time back to Darranga . The Engineers were building a bridge there and had helicopter support Rakesh had organised a place for me on a return flight. At Darranga I ran into Brig KK Singh the BGS of 4 Corps; he asked me a few questions and I replied very curtly 'Sir, you should know better'. We were all so angry with the powers that be.

Recovery
We were finally taken to Tezpur hospital, our clothes, dirty and filthy, were taken off and burnt. We were looked after rather well at the hospital. Maj Rachhpal Singh Mann the 2 IC came to see us, by the time he reached Tawang the show at Bridge One on Namka Chu was over and he had returned from there only, and asked what did we want; Imagine what the four or five of us asked, we asked for our special cook, please send us Rehman our cook special, we are famished. Rehman would keep cooking and we would keep eating, The stomach would say no but the brain would not say no. I bloated from a 120-pound lad to a nice fat young man. Drinking and eating for a long time was the hobby. Being alive was too good to be true.

President visit
I recall the President of India visiting us in the hospital. How do you feel about the visit of the President?, I was asked by a press reporter and I said 'His visit will put us on our feet faster' a well quoted statement, reflecting the morale of 4 Grenadiers.

Brig Lakshman Singh, VSM (Retd)

Comment: Two of the world’s fastest growing economies with different Political Concepts are starting to think of themselves as partners and as competitors. Both countries have great scope for bilateral trade. It is not that two countries should not or will not compete in the future, it is already happening. Only that the scope of cooperation, so far unexplored, is tremendous. Our Defence Forces could effect a savings of over 30% by making intelligent purchases from China starting from basic and quality products and items like tentages for the troops. The list is endless.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The contents posted on these Blogs are personal reflections of the Bloggers and do not reflect the views of the "Report My Signal- Blog" Team.
Neither the "Report my Signal -Blogs" nor the individual authors of any material on these Blogs accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused (including through negligence), which anyone may directly or indirectly suffer arising out of use of or reliance on information contained in or accessed through these Blogs.
This is not an official Blog site. This forum is run by team of ex- Corps of Signals, Indian Army, Veterans for social networking of Indian Defence Veterans. It is not affiliated to or officially recognized by the MoD or the AHQ, Director General of Signals or Government/ State.
The Report My Signal Forum will endeavor to edit/ delete any material which is considered offensive, undesirable and or impinging on national security. The Blog Team is very conscious of potentially questionable content. However, where a content is posted and between posting and removal from the blog in such cases, the act does not reflect either the condoning or endorsing of said material by the Team.
Blog Moderator: Lt Col James Kanagaraj (Retd)

Resources