PRESS NOTE KARGIL VIJAY DIVAS 26 JULY 2010
Dated: 18 July 2010
Dear Members of the Media
1. We wish to remind the people of India that eleven years back on 26 Jul 1999, demonstrating courage, valour, grit and determination, our Defence Forces recaptured every inch of our mother land and either killed or threw back every Pakistani infiltrator who had deceptively occupied the heights in Kargil Region while our then Prime Minister Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee was extending his hands of friendship to Pakistan in Lahore.
2. During this War 543 Jawans, JCOs and Officers achieved martyrdom and over 1200 were seriously wounded. This war was fought at the heights of over 16000 feet in a most inhospitable rugged, stiff and steep mountain ridges. To honour the bravery and valour of our soldiers, the President of India awarded four Pram Vir Chakra (PVC), nine Maha Vir Chakras (MVC) and 55 Vir Chkras (VrC). Capt Vikram Batra, 13 JAK Rif, Lt Manoj Pandey 1/11 Gorkha Rifles, Grenadier Yogender Singh Yadav 18 Grenadiers and Rifleman Sanjay Kumar 13 JAK Rif were the recipients of highest Gallantry award of PVC.
3. The Pakistani intruders had positioned themselves on Tololing Top, Tiger Hill, Pt 4875, Pt 4590, Pt 5100 and Pt 5140. The names of these hilltops (points) became familiar to the people of India as these were getting reported in Press and electronic media during successes of Indian Forces. Capt Vikram Batra played a sterling role in the capture of feature Pt 5140, a critical peak from the point of view that it overlooked the Srinagar– Leh highway which was important for logistics and supply of reinforcements for the Indian Army. Its capture facilitated in the capture of other hill tops ie Rt 4750, 4875 and Tiger Hill and finally lead to Indian eventual victory.
4. After the capture of pt 5140, Capt Vikram Batra radioed his commanding officer and said the success signal “Yeh Dil Mange More” The words later went on to become a motivational slogan during the war and is used even now at various occasions like the Vijay Divas.
5. The Defence Forces of India are the most patriotic forces in the world. They have always proved their worth during external and internal threats. They are the strongest pillars of our democracy. Indian Ex Servicemen Movement (IESM) working for the welfare of Defence Personnel requests all citizens of India to join in commemorating the valour and bravery of soldiers on the Kargil Vijay Divas on 26 Jul 2010. All citizens are requested to light a candle at the main gate of their homes at 8 PM on 26 Jul 2010 and after saying a prayer for those brave hearts who never returned, place a marigold (Genda) next to it as a silent tribute.
6. At National Capital Region (NCR), the people are requested to reach India Gate at the their own time and light a candle there at 8 PM onwards as a mark of respect to the Martyrs. Kargil Vijay Divas is also being commemorated in others parts of the country.
“Lets us join hands to salute the brave soldiers of India”
Maj Gen (Retd) Satbir Singh, SM
Battle for Batalik: During the Kargil conflict, it was in Batalik that the Indian Army faced its toughest challenge. It was also here that it won its first and finest victories, writes Vijay Mohan of The Tribune
GOOD NEWS ABOUT PENURY GRANT
1 day ago