What are the probable reasons for Senior Officers to embezzle?
1. Greed and selfishness
2. Inculcating and enjoying the Five Star culture and beget VIP status cum treatment (living literally free on the house) during service.
3. Own and buy a palatial house prior to retirement which costs about Rs one crore. (Adarsh Scam is a pointer- few cases have surfaced in Pune and other states too).
4. Lavish Family living styles and compulsion of favouring relatives with monetary aid.
5. Costly education for children. Capitation Fees for Medical and Engineering colleges.
6. Lack of Professionalism which tempts Senior Officers to take bribes from contractors and vendors especially those posted in AHQ and Delhi.
7. Skewed ACR system which encourages sycophancy and corrupt dealings. More corrupt the better the ACR rating and promotion (9 pointer guaranteed).
8. Fake Gallantry awards for promotion purposes.
9. Exploiting the junior officers to collude into corrupt activities.
10. Detection of corruption and embezzlement is difficult in a closed loop military envirnonment. Lack of deterent punishments for senior officers.
11. Peace time fatigue is ideal and provides a fertile ground to breed and plot scams which will enrich them. The Bureaucrats become godfathers of Senior Military Officers for protection.(Military scams like Tatra doing the rounds is a testimony).
12. Management and fudging of Military Grants, Regimental Funds and Canteen profits encourages senior officers to plan bigger maney spinning rackets. (like CSD scam and NDA Scam).
13. Fudging Medical Records for promotions. Quid pro quo arrangements with Medical Authorities is common
14. Physically unfit Officers promoted based only on ACR.
15. Selection and appointment of poor quality leaders in the higher echelons by manipulating postings due to Political and Bureaucratic interference and compulsions is widespread and common.