Thursday, July 17, 2008

Canada Honours An Indian World War Veteran

Promoting an understanding of the significance of the contributions and sacrifices of all Veterans, 2005 was declared By Canada “The Year Of The Veteran” to thank and honour all Veterans who served in their Country in times of the war, military conflict and peace. Throughout this special commemorative year, Canadians actively remembered, honoured, celebrated, and learnt about the services and sacrifices of Canada’s Veterans.

I put my life on the line during World War II in Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sudan, Egypt and Libya as part of the 8th British Army under World famous Field Marshal Montgomery, from August, 1940 to December 1942, to defend the Commonwealth and protect the Democracy, in which different people could live together and enjoy freedom in peace. Since my immigration to Canada on April 16, 1980, I have been actively advocating with Veterans Affairs Canada, on behalf of Indian World War Veterans settled in Canada who are incapable of doing so, due to lack of knowledge and education. As a result, all officials of Veterans Affairs Minister Canada are aware of my service records including my serving along with Canadian officers in the International Commission for Supervision and Control Vietnam from March 1961 to December 1961.

I was interviewed at my home by Mr A. Neil Robinson Counsel, Legal Services , Veterans Affairs, Department of Justice from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island (P. E. I). The interview lasted lose to 4 hours and covered the experiences and achievements during my entire life. I was grilled with numerous searching questions which I could only answer from my memory. My service in World War II, Indo-Pak wars, Indo-China war. Peace Mission to Vietnam were extensively covered. My 7 years service in Central Reserve Police as a Commandant, dealing with insurgents was gone into thoroughly.

I was given to understand that my entire interview will form part of Canada’s Archive and will remain on record permanently for future Canadian generations to remember and learn from my services and achievements. I was provided edited copies of my interview. I was honoured to receive letter dated July 14, 2005 from the VAC which read as follows:-

"On behalf of Veterans Affairs Canada, I would personally like to thank you for your participation in the Heroes Remember Project. By sharing your personal stories and recollections, you have helped create a portrait of a nation’s history through the eyes of those who have served. Your willingness in helping us preserve this rich legacy for future generations is greatly appreciated. Should you experience any problem with our copies of the interview, please do not hesitate to contact us by mail or by calling our toll-free number 1-800-443-0394. Sincerely, Signed Stephen Ogden , Project Director, Heroes Remember Project- Canada Remembers”.

Lt Col Pritam Singh Jauhal World War II Veteran
Founder President Indian Ex-Servicemen Society British Columbia
Veteran Affairs Canada
Other articles by Author in the Blog

Our Prayer: We are truly proud of your lifetime achievements. This has been rightly honoured by the Canadian Government. Your interview and deeds have been recorded for posterity and generations to come. We salute you, for preservation of World Democracy. Our fervent prayer and hope is that our Government at least attempts to emulate the Canadian Government by honouring our own Officers and Jawans who have laid down their lives for Integrity of the Nation.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The contents posted on these Blogs are personal reflections of the Bloggers and do not reflect the views of the "Report My Signal- Blog" Team.
Neither the "Report my Signal -Blogs" nor the individual authors of any material on these Blogs accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused (including through negligence), which anyone may directly or indirectly suffer arising out of use of or reliance on information contained in or accessed through these Blogs.
This is not an official Blog site. This forum is run by team of ex- Corps of Signals, Indian Army, Veterans for social networking of Indian Defence Veterans. It is not affiliated to or officially recognized by the MoD or the AHQ, Director General of Signals or Government/ State.
The Report My Signal Forum will endeavor to edit/ delete any material which is considered offensive, undesirable and or impinging on national security. The Blog Team is very conscious of potentially questionable content. However, where a content is posted and between posting and removal from the blog in such cases, the act does not reflect either the condoning or endorsing of said material by the Team.
Blog Moderator: Lt Col James Kanagaraj (Retd)

Resources