Friday, July 18, 2008

Legion Extends Welcome In 2001

Considering me as a distinguished War Veteran, I who was once denied entry into the Newton Legion for refusing to remove my turban, was honored at a Remembrance Day ceremony in Crescent Beach Legion, Canada in 2001. I was invited to speak and lay a wreath at the cenotaph at 240 Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion.

“We felt that we would like to do something in our Legion to show Col Jauhal that we honour the man” said Legion member Reg Selwage, who along with several others left the Newton Legion in disgust over the incident in 1993. “We just felt we would like to have Col Jauhal there and show him the respect he deserves”. During the ceremony, I addressed the gathering about my experiences fighting for the Commonwealth in the Second World War. I also read A Soldier’s Prayer.

Later, I said I was reluctant to accept the invitation, given my shabby treatment back in 1993. This time, my presence and comments sparked a thunderous standing ovation by those in attendance. I enjoyed the ceremony enormously. It was memorable. I conveyed this in writing to the madam Donn, President of 240 Legion. The ceremony was one of many in the community as the cities of Surrey and White Rock joined Canadians across the Country in paying respects to Canada’s War Veterans and those who gave their lives for freedom.

In 1993, I was invited to a Remembrance Day ceremony at the Newton Legion. After laying wreaths, the Veterans marched behind a pipe band to the Legion’s Lounge and as I and four other turban-wearing Veterans reached the door, we were told to remove our turbans if we wanted to enter the Lounge. I took a firm stand against the injustice and discrimination As a result, today no Legion in Canada refuses entry to a Sikh wearing a turban. Originally, a soldier with the Indian Army, I fought in Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sudan, Egypt and Libya as apart of 8th British Army. During the Second World War, I fought for the independence of India and was a peacekeeper in Vietnam, and earned 13 stars and medals.

In the photo, I am seen overcome with emotion during the Remembrance Day service at the Crescent Beach Legion. Corporal Vincent Haithwaite of the 2812 Seaforth Highlanders acted as a sentry for the ceremony.

Lt Col Pritam Singh Jauhal (Retd) World War II Veteran
Founding President Indian Ex-Servicemen Society British Columbia

No comments:

Disclaimer

The contents posted on these Blogs are personal reflections of the Bloggers and do not reflect the views of the "Report My Signal- Blog" Team.
Neither the "Report my Signal -Blogs" nor the individual authors of any material on these Blogs accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused (including through negligence), which anyone may directly or indirectly suffer arising out of use of or reliance on information contained in or accessed through these Blogs.
This is not an official Blog site. This forum is run by team of ex- Corps of Signals, Indian Army, Veterans for social networking of Indian Defence Veterans. It is not affiliated to or officially recognized by the MoD or the AHQ, Director General of Signals or Government/ State.
The Report My Signal Forum will endeavor to edit/ delete any material which is considered offensive, undesirable and or impinging on national security. The Blog Team is very conscious of potentially questionable content. However, where a content is posted and between posting and removal from the blog in such cases, the act does not reflect either the condoning or endorsing of said material by the Team.
Blog Moderator: Lt Col James Kanagaraj (Retd)

Resources