INJUSTICE TO DEFENCE FORCES: DO YOU KNOW?
1. The Govt on 19 April 2010 has rejected the OROP quoting Financial, Legal & Administrative reasons. The financial burden is too inconsequential and legal reasons have been adequately set-aside by the courts in many of their recent judgements. The administrative reason given is due to the mental block of the bureaucracy and its agonistic attitude and towards the Defence Forces.
2. Consequent to the efforts of Indian Ex Servicemen Movement (IESM), the All Party Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence while tabling itn report in the parliament on 07 May 2010 has recommended the implementation of OROP holistically. Will the Govt be gracious enough to accept the recommendation of the Parliamentary Committee on or will the bureaucracy again succeed in denying it to the defence personnel?
3. Till 1973 defence personnel were given Rank based pension which meant OROP. The Pay and Pensions of defence personnel was higher then their counterparts in the Central Govt Services. However, after 1973 ie in the 3rd Pay Commission, defence personnel whose service conditions are entirely different were clubbed with the civil servants. This was the grave mistake and has resulted in a large number of anomalies cumulatively passed on from 4th to 5th and from 5th to 6th CPC.
4. OROP for the last 25 yrs has been promised by every Political Party, PM & RM, even Smt. Sonia Gandhi Jee had promised. However, the promise has been broken by everyone. Why such a mistreatment of Military?
5. 85 percent of defence personnel are compulsorily retired at the age of 35 yrs and will live through atleast 4 CPCs and suffer their dispensation for retirees. Where as his counter part in the civil will not only continue to benefit from successive Pay Commission while still in service for an additional 25 years but on retirement will be affected by just one CPC. Is this not a grave injustice?
6. In comparison,the total amount drawn in terms of Pay and Pension by a solders is Rs 47.3 lacs less than his counter part in the civil by the time both reach the age of 75 yrs. Is this not a grave injustice?
7. There is a large gap of Rs 11600 in pension of pre 2006 retiree Maj and Lt Col while the gap in their pay in the 5th Pay Commission was only Rs 1000/-. Similarly the pension gap between pre 2006 retiree Maj Gen and Lt Gen is Rs 9800/- while the difference in their pay prior to 2006 was only Rs 1200. Why this grave injustice?
8. The 6th Pay Commission had granted three Assured Career Progressions (ACP). strangely the ACP has not been applied notionally while fixing the pensions of Pre 01 Jan 2006 retirees. Why this injustice?
9. Even for Post 01 Jan 2006 retirees defence personnel, only two ACPs have been granted. Why the third has not been granted to a Sepoy who has been compulsorily retired from service after 17 years of service? Why this injustice?
10. For over nine months the bureaucracy did not implement the enhancement of pensions of JCOs/ORs which had been accepted by the Govt on 04 June 2009. Due to the concerted efforts of the Indian Ex Servicemen Movement (IESM), not only the question was raised in the Parliament by Sh. L.K. Advani on 03 Mar 2010 but also the implementation orders which had been withheld for nine months were issued on 08 Mar 2010. It reveals intentional delay by the bureaucracy.
11. The enhancement in pension of JCOs/ORs is not One Rank One Pension (OROP). 13 years old pension anomaly had been removed. Even now there is a large gap in pension between the Pre and Post 2006 retirees ie ‘Y’ Group Sepoy with 17 yrs of service will get Rs 2958 less without the DA and Rs 3994 less with DA.
12. The anomalies of 4th, 5th and 6th Pay Commissions have created wired situation which is blatant violation of Article 14 of the constitution. An officer who is four rank senior is being given less pension them his junior just because the senior retired prior to 2006. The very functioning of the Army Rank structure is being adversely affected since the present serving personnel are the future retirees.
13. The Govt has done grave injustice by filing an appeal against the SC judgement in the case of Rank Pay to officers. The SC had corrected 26 years old anomaly which the Govt had illegally inflicted on the defence officers. Is this not a grave injustice?
14. There is a Commission for every segment of society but there is no ESM commission. The Govt had announced the formation of such a Commission with members from the civil service. This is not acceptable. ESM Commission must have all members from the ESM only and must have all the powers as available to any other commission. Why this grave injustice?
15. Separate Pay Commission for Defence Forces. The Govt has already accepted the demand for the Separate Pay Commission for the Armed Forces. There are large number of anomalies of 4th, 5th &6th Pay Commission adversely affecting the Pay and pensions of Defence Personnel. Instead of waiting for the next Pay Commission, it is recommended that separate Pay Commission be set up now and all the existing anomalies be handed over to them with the task to resolve all within one year.
16. Do the injustices mentioned above reveal a conspiracy against the Defence Forces? If so it is very unfortunate. The ESM have been forced to come on the street to protest against the injustices, deposit their coveted medals, sign memorandum in blood. It is very painful and unfortunate happening for the nation. Why this has been allowed to happen?
17. Where other big democratic countries like USA, UK, France, Germany etc give due respect and honour to the defence forces, India is illtreating, mistreating, downgrading, disrespecting and demoralizing its defence personnel. Even the SC while passing serious strictures has asked the Govt not to treat defence personnel like beggar. Why this injustice to defence personnel.
18. We appeal to all segment of society to unite and join in the peaceful struggle to get due justice to the Defence Forces.
“The above has been issued in the interest of the nation”
Lt Gen (Emeritus) Raj Kadyan, PVSM, AVSM, VSM
Maj Gen (Retd) Satbir Singh,SM
Vice Chairman Indian ESM Movement
Dated: 27 June 2010
Unity of ESM
GOOD NEWS ABOUT PENURY GRANT
2 days ago