Safeguarding India’s territorial integrity and unity against overt or covert external aggression is the supreme responsibility of the Government. Fashioning clear defense policies with precise consensus in priorities is required for the purpose. Keeping the nation’s armed forces fully prepared, backed up by necessary resources is important.
The Congress, if elected to power, will:
1. Speedily implement the recommendations made for the reforms and reconstructing of defense organizations and the armed forces of the country.
2. Congress will integrate the Defense Military with the Headquarters of the three services (Army, Navy, and the Air Force) with uniformed officers being given a participatory role in the formulation of defence policies and the higher management of national defence.
3. The Congress will allocate necessary financial resources for the defence of the country. Including special allocations for research and development and modernization of defence technology for the country. The functioning of the DRDO will be reviewed so as to impart a new element of dynamism.
4. The Congress will take steps to develop and deploy human resources for national defence.
5. The Congress will take necessary steps to fine tune the higher command for India’s nuclear and missile capacities.
6. The Congress will safeguard and maintain these capacities at appropriate level in the context of changing security environments, particularly in the Asian region.
7. The Congress will improve the terms of service and serving conditions of the armed forces personnel.
8. The Congress will also give special attention to the re-settlement and welfare of retired personnel from the armed forces of the country and their families. A separate Department of Ex-Servicemen’s Welfare will be established in the Ministry of Defence and cooperatives of ex-servicemen will be mobilized extensively in tasks of nation-building like afforestation, literacy, management of ration shops, etc.
9. The Congress will attend to organizational problems, which have for long affected the armed forces, and will take purposive action to resolve these problems in terms of recruitment, ensuring of appropriate levels in the armed forces establishments.
10. The Congress will rationalize the salary and pension payments to the armed forces with the objective of maximum benefit to armed forces personnel, responsive to the higher responsibilities of national defence which they discharge.
Indian National Congress Agenda- Defence
Status of the Department of Ex Servicemen's Welfare (with Ref ser 8 click links below)